Slacker, Inc. (“Slacker”) understands that it is a privilege to have you as a customer and is committed to protecting your Personal Information and safeguarding your privacy over the Internet.
The “Slacker Products and Services” is defined as Slacker.com, associated mobile applications, software, and Internet services under our control, whether partial or otherwise, in connection with providing a platform for Slacker's services.
We consider “Personal Information” to include information that alone or when in combination with other information may be used to readily identify, contact, or locate you, such as: name, address, email address, or phone number. We do not consider Personal Information to include information that has been anonymized so that it does not allow a third party to easily identify a specific individual.
We may collect and share aggregate demographic or statistical information that is not personally identifiable at our discretion.
We do not collect Personal Information from children we know to be under the age of 13, and no part of our Website is directed to children under the age of 13.
What kind of information do we collect?
Personal Information. We collect Personal Information when you create an account by registering to use the Slacker Products and Services, such as your name, email address, username, password, and billing and credit card information.
You may also register by using your Facebook log-in credentials. When you log in with your Facebook credentials, we collect the Personal Information you have made publicly available in Facebook, such as your name and profile picture and use that information to register with Slacker. We may also obtain other information with your permission, such as your gender and date of birth. You control what information is shared from your Facebook profile by adjusting your Facebook privacy settings. Note that it is mandatory for a user to provide Personal Information when they register or provide billing and credit card information to purchase certain levels of service.
If you subscribe to a paid level of service you will need to provide the information your credit card provider requires to complete a transaction. This information typically includes your name, billing address, the credit card expiration date, and the Card Verification Value (CVV) number displayed on your credit card. The subscriber credit card number and CVV are not stored by Slacker.
It is not mandatory for users to provide Personal Information if they elect to use the service without registering or paying for a subscription.
We may collect Personal Information when you subscribe to the Slacker newsletter, participate in forum discussions, or when you enter events, such as sweepstakes or contests.
The Slacker Products and Services may collect and store your location information if you enable your computer or mobile device to send it to us. Changing the settings on your computer or mobile device may prevent this data collection.
We do not collect Personal Information from children we know to be under the age of 13.
Non-Personal Information. We may collect Non-Personal Information when you create an account, such as year of birth, gender, and postal code. We also collect demographic information, such as your country, in several other ways. We also collect anonymous statistical user and browser information through the Slacker Products and Services users, including: (1) the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the user's computer, (2) the websites from which people visit the Slacker Products and Services, if any, and/or (3) the brand and version of the user's browser software.
How do we collect information?
We collect the information you enter into the Slacker Products and Services.
When you use Slacker Products and Services, we and our third-party service providers also receive and record information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, and from cookies, web beacons, and similar technology. Cookies are small text files that we place in visitors' computer browsers to store their preferences. Most browsers allow you to block and delete cookies. However, if you block our cookies, the Slacker Products and Services may not work properly.
How do we use the information collected?
Slacker uses the information collected to:
- Process transactions for Slacker Products Services. We may verify authorization of credit card usage before you may access Slacker Products and Services;
- Communicate with you concerning your account and any customer service issues;
- Verify access rights to restricted services, including for the purpose of supporting digital-rights management software;
- Improve Slacker Products and Services by providing personalized content recommendations, language and location customization, and personalized help and instructions;
- Determine if you meet the minimum computer system compatibility requirements to use the Slacker Products and Services and provide to you information to improve compatibility;
- Track when you access and download content for the purpose of paying royalties and license fees to third-party providers, such as record labels and other copyright holders and content distributors;
- Ask you to participate in surveys about Slacker Products and Services, news, and events;
- Offer you Slacker Products and Services for you to purchase;
- Automatically update downloaded Slacker Products and Services;
- Provide you with news, newsletters, updates, targeted advertising, promotions, and special offers;
- Better understand how Slacker Products and Services are used, including Web-traffic patterns and content-preference analysis; and
- Analyze trends and statistics, and for federal export law compliance, when required.
Direct Marketing. We do not rent, sell, or share Personal Information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies for direct marketing purposes. We may allow access to other data collected by the Slacker Products and Services to enable the delivery of direct marketing and offers that will be of greatest utility, relevance, value, and interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice, click here. If you would like to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
- Slacker Products and Services you have previously purchased;
- Your account status or other information concerning functions, features and status of your Slacker Products and Services; or
- Critical technical-service issues relating to the Slacker Products and Services.
What information do we share with third parties?
Content Providers. Slacker may be required to provide specific access and usage information to content providers and rights holders as a condition of content licensing and royalty agreements. In such cases, Slacker may provide content access and usage, user demographic, and other information that does not include your Personal Information to the content provider.
Social Networking and Other Websites. When you use the Slacker Products and Services, you may share Personal Information with social networking websites, such as Facebook. We do not share information with them unless you direct the Slacker Products and Services to share it. Their use of the information will be governed by their privacy policies, and you may be able to modify your privacy settings on their websites.
Anonymous Statistics. We may share anonymous Slacker Products and Services usage information for the purpose of measuring the effectiveness of affiliate programs. None of such information shared is Personal Information.
Vendors and Suppliers. The Slacker Products and Services use Personal Information for internal and service-related purposes only and may provide it to third parties to allow Slacker to offer the Slacker Products and Services, including credit card processing. Slacker vendors and suppliers are bound by strict contractual requirements to keep all Personal Information they receive strictly confidential and to use and process such information solely on behalf of Slacker.
As Required By Law and Similar Disclosures. We may access, preserve, and disclose your Personal Information, other account information, and content if we believe doing so is required by law or if those actions are reasonably necessary to:
- comply with legal process, such as a court order or subpoena;
- respond to claims that any content violates the rights of third parties;
- respond to your requests for customer service;
- respond to law enforcement;
- investigate and prevent unauthorized transactions or other illegal activities; or
- protect our or others' rights, property, or personal safety.
How do we keep your information secure?
Slacker understands that it is a privilege to have you as a customer and takes steps to protect your Personal Information. We use the following controls to protect your Personal Information:
- Use SSL to safeguard information when transmitted from your Web browser to Slacker;
- Encrypt sensitive Personal Information, such as credit card numbers and user names;
- Restrict employee access to databases containing Personal Information and impose confidentiality requirements upon employees who do; and
- Bind third-party vendors and suppliers with contractual, technical, and organizational measures to protect your Personal Information.
Although we do take (and require our third-party providers to take) security precautions regarding your Personal Information, due to the open nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that any of your Personal Information stored on our servers, or transmitted to or from a user, will be free from unauthorized access. We disclaim any liability for any theft or loss of, unauthorized access or damage to, or interception of any data or communications. By using the Slacker Products and Services, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to assume these risks.
How can you access and update your personal information?
To access your account information and preferences, select Manage Account from a link or menus on either the Internet at www.slacker.com or the Slacker software. When you access your account, you can update your account information to make it accurate. You can also manage your preferences for receiving newsletters and promotional emails. If you have forgotten your username or password, you can use our online support resources here: Slacker Support.
What if you are located in a different country?
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of the Slacker Products and Services or would like to make a complaint, please contact
Attn: Chief Legal Officer
16935 W. Bernardo Drive, Suite 270
San Diego, CA 92127
Last modified: October 8, 2018